3. The Fatty Mona Lisa - Fernando Botero

This was a fun assignment to do and I’ll explain why.
Firstly, it’s a painting of a famous piece by Fernando Botero which my client saw in a magazine. Secondly, it’s a fatty version of the Mona Lisa!



I started by painting the whole canvas black and leave it overnight to dry.

Subsequently, I drew the outline of the figure using white acrylic paint and a fine brush (I don’t really worry about making mistakes because I can easily wash out the color with water, provided I do it quickly because acrylic is a fast drying medium).




After that I layer in the different skin tones and...




… give the face detailing.





The easiest part is painting the background and the dress.



And then it’s done!



This is the finished painting, ready to be delivered to the client.
Although it’s fairly realistic, my approach was to be more stylized and caricature.
When the client saw the painting, she was very happy and satisfied with it. Cheers ^_^

My Apprentice – HappyCloud!


I’m constantly amazed by my student’s vision and creativity!
One such student is Gan Le Yin.
After seeing my painting of the Fatty Mona Lisa, she was determined to paint one for herself.

She completed it in 2 lessons and as you can see – it’s fairly good!
Her Fatty Mona Lisa is for sale at RM100 – for anyone interested! :p
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice, le yin! Your friend here.....=P

meeeecky said...

Fatty Mona huh,.. one day i'll ask u to sketch me fatty... duh.. i so fat now....




-farrah-

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Lee said...

Hi, i've been looking for a fatty mona lisa painting. Do you still accept requests?

Art Whiz said...

Hi Lee,

I am so sorry, we did not check this blog often enough that only now I saw your comment. Do you still interested to get the painting. Please do not hesitates to contact John ho @ johnhoys@gmail.com.
Thank you.