2. The making of an ArtWhiz Masterpiece

Ever wondered how a Fine Art Masterpiece was produced?
Come into my studio for an inside view of my painting secrets…


I was approached to do a 4.5 x 3 feet acrylic painting on canvas.
The client requested a painting of a bold lion surrounded by 4 wolves to activate good feng shui…


I did a rough sketch which the client approved and quickly proceeded to pencil in the general outline of the image on canvas.




Once the penciled image is to my liking, I start painting the lion first. Some painters paint broadly first, putting in background colors before going into anything specific or fine tuning.
I work intuitively and don’t really think too much about what I’m doing.
Usually, I’ll start with the dominant features that stand out and attract the viewer's attention first (in this case – the lion).



Once the lion is completed, I start painting the wolves. A fine brush is needed for painting the fur and detail.

I use Daler-Rowney System 3 acrylic exclusively now for all my fine art because I like the vibrant color it achieves.





Now for the finishing touches…time to paint the landscape!

Usually, I’ll let the piece sit for a day or so and then come back to review it just to ensure I haven’t overlooked any details.

As a final step, I apply a gloss varnish to protect the finished art and give it a nice shine.
And with that, the painting’s complete! ^_^

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i LOVE e tiger...*hehe* :)) coz it looks so real...*LoLzZz***

Shirley said...

Tiger???
Where got tiger?
This is not tiger ler...
hahaha...